If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10 or even if you have installed the new Creators Update for Windows 10 then you may be aware of a new issue where you can’t hear any sound from your headphones then don’t worry as today we are going to see how to fix this issue. The main issue is that you’re able to hear sound from your laptop speaker, but there is no sound as soon as you connect your headphones. The headphones are also detected when you connect them to the headphone jack, but the only problem is that you won’t hear a thing using headphones.
There are many reasons why this issue occurs, such as corrupted or outdated drivers, an issue with default sound format, Audio enhancements, Exclusive mode, Windows Audio service, etc. So without wasting any time let’s see how to actually Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10 with the help of below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Fix No sound from headphone in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Disable front panel jack detection
If you have installed the Realtek software, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager, and check the “Disable front panel jack detection” option, under connector settings on the right-side panel. The headphones and other audio devices work without any problem.
Method 2: Disable Audio Enhancements
1. Right-click on the Speaker icon in Taskbar and select Sound.
2. Next, from the Playback tab, right-click on Speakers and select Properties.
3. Switch to the Enhancements tab and tick mark the option ‘Disable all enhancements.’
4. Clik Apply, followed by OK and then restart your PC to save changes.
Method 3: Set Headphone as the default device
1. Right-click on the Volume icon on the taskbar and select Playback devices.
2. Select your headphones then right-click on it and select Set as Default Device.
3. If you couldn’t find your headphones then the chances are it might be disabled, let’s see how to enable it.
5. Again go back to Playback devices window and then right-click in an empty area inside it and select Show Disabled Devices.
6. Now, when your headphones show up, then right-click on it and select Enable.
7. Again right-click on it and select Set as Default Device.
8. In some cases, there is no headphone option; in that case, you need to set Speakers as Default Device.
9. Click Apply, followed by OK.
10. Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10.
Method 4: Run Windows Audio Troubleshooter
1. Open control panel and in the search box type “troubleshooting.”
2. In the search results, click on Troubleshooting and then select Hardware and Sound.
3. Now in the next window, click on “Playing Audio” inside Sound sub-category.
4. Finally, click Advanced Options in the Playing Audio window and check “Apply repairs automatically” and click Next.
5. Troubleshooter will automatically diagnose the issue and ask you if you want to apply the fix or not.
6. Click Apply this fix and Reboot to apply changes and see if you’re able to Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10.
Method 5: Start Windows Audio services
1. Press Windows key + R then type services.msc and hit Enter to open Windows services list.
2. Now locate the following services:
3. Make sure their Startup Type is set to Automatic and the services are Running, either way, restart all of them once again.
4. If Startup Type is not Automatic, then double-click the services and inside property window set them to Automatic.
5. Make sure the above services are checked in msconfig.exe
6. Restart your computer to apply these changes.
Method 6: Disable Exclusive mode
1. Right-click on the Volume icon in the taskbar and select Playback devices.
2. Now right-click on your Speakers and select Properties.
3. Switch to the Advanced tab and uncheck the following under Exclusive Mode:
Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
Give exclusive mode applications priority
4. Then click Apply followed by OK.
5. Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10.
Method 7: Reinstall Sound Card Driver
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers then right-click on Audio Device (High Definition Audio Device) and select Uninstall.
Note: If Sound card is disabled, then right-click and select Enable.
3. Then tick on “Delete the driver software for this device” and click Ok to confirm the uninstallation.
4. Reboot your PC to save changes and Windows will automatically install the default sound drivers.
Method 8: Update Sound Card Driver
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers then right-click on Audio Device (High Definition Audio Device) and select Update Driver.
3. Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and let it install the appropriate drivers.
4. Reboot your PC and see if you can Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10, if not then continue.
5. Again go back to Device Manager then right-click on Audio Device and select Update Driver.
6. This time, select “Browse my computer for driver software.”
7. Next, click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.”
8. Select the latest drivers from the list and then click Next.
9. Wait for the process to finish and then reboot your PC.
Method 9: Use Add legacy to install drivers to support older Sound Card
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager.
2. In Device Manager, select Sound, video and game controllers and then click on Action > Add legacy hardware.
3. On the Welcome to Add Hardware Wizard click Next.
4. Click Next, select ‘Search for and install the hardware automatically (Recommended).’
5. If the wizard did not find any new hardware, then click Next.
6. On the next screen, you should see a list of hardware types.
7. Scroll down till you find Sound, video and game controllers option then highlight it and click Next.
8. Now select the Manufacturer and the model of the sound card and then click Next.
9. Click Next to install the device and then click Finish once the process is complete.
10. Reboot your system to save changes. Check again if you’re able to Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10.
Method 10: Uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
1. Type control in Windows Search then clicks on Control Panel.
2. Click on Uninstall a Program and then search for Realtek High Definition Audio Driver entry.
3. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
4. Restart your PC and open Device Manager.
5. Click on Action then “Scan for hardware changes.”
6. Your system will automatically install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver again.
- Fix Video Playback Freezes on Windows 10
- Fix Thumbnail Previews not showing in Windows 10
- Remove Send a Smile button from Internet Explorer
- Fix Windows Media Player Media Library is corrupted error
That’s it you have successfully Fix No sound from a headphone in Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.